Planning bathrooms and hand dryer requirements for buildings
Regulation 20 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) regulations 1992 specify the number of washrooms and toilets are required in a building based on the number of people who will be accommodated. This is supplemented by the 2010 Equality act.
The number of hand dryers you need to specify in a building is not defined in the same acts but should follow on from the number of bathrooms.
How Many Bathrooms does a building require
Government regulations set out the number of sanitary facilities required based on the number of people present. These minimum numbers for a mixed workforce are as follows:
- One toilet and one washbasin for 1-5 people
- Two toilets and two washbasins for between 6-25 people
- Three toilets and three washbasins for 26-50 people
- Four toilets and four washbasins for 51-75 people
- Five toilets and five washbasins for 76-100 people
In most workplaces, separate bathrooms are provided for male and female users and in multi-floor buildings, this means at least three bathrooms per floor including disabled facilities.